To get the lowest possible rates on auto insurance in Calgary, it’s essential to avoid accidents. The longer you go without filing a car insurance claim, the more your premiums will drop.
Reviewing your vehicle’s mirror and seat settings can aid greatly in your being confident and assured behind the wheel. Many drivers overlook the importance of these two details, particularly the positioning of their seat. Any traffic police officer or vehicle insurance claims adjuster will tell you that correct mirror and seat settings can save your life…and the health of your back and neck!
There are easy ways to optimize both, which will enhance both your comfort and poise behind the wheel and reduce your chances of being involved in a collision.
Auto Insurance Calgary: Setting Your Mirrors
All your vehicle’s mirrors need to be set so you maximize your rear view and minimize your blind spots. You need to optimize both side mirrors as well as your interior rear-view mirror to be sure you have the best possible look at what’s behind and beside you.
If your mirrors are set correctly, you should never lose your view of a passing vehicle in your side mirrors, and you should have clear rear views of all adjacent lanes on multi-lane roads and highways.
Adjusting your side mirrors may take a little experimentation and trial-and-error, especially if you’re also going to adjust your driver’s seat. Even so, there is a proven method to setting your exterior mirrors so they provide the best possible view:
- Start behind the driver’s wheel, like you would be if you were about to begin a journey.
- Lean to the left, until your head touches the driver’s side window.
- Position your driver’s side exterior mirror so only the very back end of your car (the rear quarter-panel) is visible in the mirror.
- Returning to the start position, adjust the vertical plane of the left exterior mirror relative to your eyeline.
- Lean to the right, keeping your head at its normal level. When you reach the centre of your vehicle, adjust your right exterior mirror so you can only see the back end of your right quarter-panel.
- Sit up straight and adjust the vertical plane of the right exterior mirror relative to your eyeline.
- Adjust the rear-view mirror so it looks out the middle of your vehicle’s back window with the widest possible angle of view.
You may have to make some small adjustments, but this technique will virtually eliminate blind spots. When correctly set, a passing vehicle should appear in your left or right side mirror the instant it disappears from your rear-view mirror.
Setting your mirrors is best done after you’ve set your driver’s seat, so let’s take a look at how to do that.
Auto Insurance Calgary: Adjusting the Driver’s Seat
While most drivers position their seats for comfort, this is not the recommended approach. What you want to do is allow for proper posture to avoid straining your lower back while also optimizing your access to the accelerator, brakes and interior controls.
Here’s how experts recommend you position your driver’s seat:
- Begin by pushing your seat back as far as it will go, then reclining it down as far as it will go.
- Move the steering wheel as far towards you as you can.
- Raise the seat back until you are at a 30-degree angle from the steering wheel. You are now in the “initial position.”
- Elevate the seat so you can see over the steering wheel and into your rear-view mirror without moving your head.
- Bring the seat forward so you can reach the pedals with ease.
You can fine-tune this approach by adding seat cushions, if necessary. It may take some time to get used to the 30-degree angle, but this is ergonomically sound and will minimize strain on your lower back. If you drive for long periods of time, consider adding a seat cushion and/or a back support for extra help.
Auto Insurance Calgary: Need Advice?
Lane’s Insurance is a leading Alberta insurance brokerage, and we work closely with the province’s most trusted carriers to bring our clients the best possible coverage at the lowest possible rates. Our brokers work to understand your personal circumstances and strive to get you the best possible deal on auto insurance, home insurance and any other type of protection you might need. Get a fast and free auto insurance quote, or contact us to speak to a friendly and knowledgeable customer service representative.