Because Calgary is situated at a relatively high altitude, driving at sunrise or sunset can pose significant hazards. If you’re at just the right angle (or the wrong angle, depending on how you view the situation), the sun can shine directly through your vehicle’s front window at eye level. This can cause blinding conditions, which in turn increases your chances of being in an accident. Keeping your Calgary auto insurance low means remaining accident-free, so it’s well worth your while to review best practices for safe sunrise and sunset driving.
Calgary Auto Insurance: Reduce Risk when Driving at Sunrise and Sunset
The best way to stay safe and protect your Calgary auto insurance rates is to delay driving until after sunrise or sunset. However, this isn’t always possible, especially if you have to travel to or from work during these times.
If you can’t avoid driving at sunrise or sunset, invest in a quality pair of sunglasses. Ideally, you should get a pair with polarized lenses, as these lenses are specifically designed to reduce glare. When you drive during these times of day, keep your sunglasses within easy reach and make sure you can put them on without having to take your eyes off the road.
In addition to wearing sunglasses, follow these expert safety tips for sunrise and sunset driving:
- Put on your headlights. This will activate your taillights, making it easier for drivers behind you to see your vehicle, thus reducing your chances of being in a rear-end collision.
- If you’re following a winding road, anticipate that traffic will slow down as drivers turn into road portions that directly face the sun.
- Increase your following distance and reduce your speed.
- Avoid looking directly into the sun. Instead, focus your attention towards the edge of the road, or on the bumper portion of the car in front of you.
- Eliminate all unnecessary distractions. Turn off your music and any radio broadcasts you’re listening to. Also, you should never answer phone calls or text messages while you’re driving, least of all when you’re dealing with direct, blinding sunlight.
- Lower your vehicle’s sun visor to block out as much of the sun as possible, however, be careful not to lower visors too much. You might obscure traffic lights, road signs or other important pieces of information.
- Keep your windows clean at all times, especially your windshield. Light can filter through dirt and debris collected on your windows, which can significantly worsen the problem.
- Guard against gases released by the vinyl in your vehicle’s dashboard by cleaning the inside of your windshield with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. These gases can leave filmy residue on your windshield glass that can create a foggy vista when you’re driving into direct sunlight.
- Scan ahead to anticipate places where the road will turn and expose you to direct sunlight. Also, try to judge changing traffic speeds to the greatest possible degree and be prepared to react defensively.
Finally, Calgary auto insurance providers recommend that you pull over if the light is too intense for you to drive safely. If you need to do this, be sure to get as far off the shoulder of the road if possible, or exit the road altogether if it is possible to do so. Wait the situation out in a parking lot or other safe area.
Calgary Auto Insurance: More Safety Tips from Lane’s
At Lane’s Insurance, we actively encourage all drivers to avoid bad habits that can lead to inflated Calgary auto insurance premiums as well as accidents and injuries to drivers, passengers and pedestrians. If you drive with your pet, you need to take additional precautions to reduce your chances of being involved in a collision. Everyone plays a role in road safety, including passengers. Be sure to do your part and exercise caution every time you get in a car…driving or not!
Lane’s Insurance provides value-added service and quality insurance policies at highly competitive rates. Our claims department is invaluable if you’re ever involved in an incident, and because Lane’s Insurance is a brokerage, its professionals work for you, not the insurance providers. You can always rest assured that Lane’s Insurance is acting in your best interests.
For a fast, free, no-obligation Calgary auto insurance quote, visit Lane’s online.